Terms and Conditions
- For best personal follow-up, Swiss Masters Chess Academy has reduced group capacity to a maximum of 10 students per group. Swiss Masters Chess Academy reviews applications on a first come first served basis (“rolling applications”) and informs each student by e-mail as to the status of their application.
- The selection criteria include playing strength, elo rating, experience, tournament participation and motivation. In case of no previous experience, an initial evaluation will be made at the beginning of the academic year in order to offer the best learning environment.
- Swiss Masters Chess Academy reserves the right to refuse applications without a given explanation.
- Swiss Masters Chess Academy sends the enrollment documents by e-mail and regular mail.
Enrolment and Participation
- Every student who wishes to register is welcome to participate in a free trial class before deciding to finalise the enrolment process. After that, once lessons have begun payment is non-refundable.
- It is the student’s responsibility to comply with the established schedule.
- The student must follow the agreed-upon class schedule. Only holidays established in the academic calendar sent out to students by Swiss Masters Chess Academy will be off days for students.
- A complete no-show to class results in the loss of class; make-ups are not possible.
- If a student arrives late to a group class, it is at the discretion of the instructor at which point to connect the tardy student to the class, whether immediately or waiting until a group activity already-in-progress has finished.
- In the case of two absences or two late arrivals per month, Swiss Masters Chess Academy recommends tutor sessions to catch up with the group at the additional cost of the hourly rate of the instructor. Should the student not do so and demonstrates a lack of knowledge in the group class sessions, this measured by not knowing the material presented during the missed class time, Swiss Masters Chess Academy may deny student access without refund, so as not to affect the academic progress of the other classmates.
- There is a minimum of 5 students per group and a maximum of 10 students. Group programs admit students in any period of the course duration; new students must take a placement test to verify their level.
- In the event that less than 5 students remain in the class due to the withdrawal of other students, the group will be adjusted, thus the schedule of the classes might be altered. Otherwise, students will be presented with the option either to take private tutoring or participate in a smaller group, thus altering the number of hours of classes or the participation fees that will be established according to the Swiss Masters Chess Academy course pricing. The content of the course will be adjusted to the new course duration.
- If a student is involved in an act of cheating (or suspected to be involved), whether during an online or on-premise tournament organised by Swiss Masters Chess Academy or any other entity, he/she will have to face the Disciplinary Board Commission to evaluate further repercussions. Swiss Masters Chess Academy reserves the right to expel the student without issuing a refund.
Once your application has been approved, the registration is valid for the full academic year.
Tuition fees can be paid
- in full for the entire academic year (discount of 5% on the yearly tuition fee)
- every semester without any additional fees: September 10th (at the latest) for semester 1 and January 31st (at the latest) for semester 2
- in 10 instalments on the 1st day of each month (first payment in September, mast payment in June) with an additional 5% fee on the yearly inscription
Prices do not include an additional 7,7% VAT compliant to the Legislation of Switzerland.
We accept transfer wires to our bank account or payments through the services Stripe.com and/or Paypal.com.
Services and Products
Some workshops/courses will take place only when a minimum of 5 participants would be registered for the workshop/course. In an unlikely case, if you will be the only 1 registered participant, we will contact you by email and reschedule your appointment for the next available and convenient date, or offer a refund.
Swiss Masters Chess Academy offers chess workshops in Switzerland and within Europe, online and onsite, chess products, prints, and digital downloads. For digital downloads, the delivery will be done via email or download link communicated after the verification of the payment. For physical goods, if available in stock, your product will be shipped promptly upon verification of the payment for your order. If you pre-ordered a product, we will notify you of the estimated shipping date, in which event you may cancel your order at any time prior to its shipment. Specific terms relating to your order might be provided to you at the time you place your order. In no event will we pay you interest for any prepaid orders. Shipments will be made Monday – Friday, excluding holidays, unless otherwise noted.
Swiss Masters Chess Academy reserves the right to terminate the service if the instructor or other students experience inappropriate, threatening, hostile or offensive behaviour from the client.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Read our Cancellation and Refund Policy at www.swissmca.com/cancellation-policy
Neither party shall be liable to the other for any failure to perform its obligations due to an event beyond the control of such party. These include any natural or man-made eventuality outside of that party’s control, which causes the termination of an agreement or contract entered into, or which could have been reasonably foreseen. Any party affected by such an event shall inform the other party and shall use all reasonable endeavours to comply with these terms and conditions.
Controlling Law and Severability
These Terms will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the jurisdiction of the city of Zurich (Switzerland), excluding its conflict of law principles. If for any reason a court of competent jurisdiction finds any provision, or portion thereof, to be unenforceable, the remainder of these Terms shall continue in full force and effect.